Friday, August 26, 2011

Mr. Palm Tree Arse.

About 2 years ago we rescued a blonde Shih tzu out of a crack house in Hemet.  You may say that this scenario would never happen, but in fact it did.  We picked him up off of Craigslist, and a woman who urged us to come get him at 10 pm otherwise he was going to the shelter first thing in the morning, because she was moving.  So we packed up our things quickly and made the drive to the pit of hell.   We swerved through mountains, meth labs and saw a few things I'd rather not describe on our way down there but there was something that kept us going, the sweet little puppy that would've been taken to a shelter if we didn't show up.  

We pulled into the drive way and walked up the porch to a find a scary woman with pits in her face holding a mangy, fur ball.  He was so natted and covered in hair that you couldn't even see his face but he instantly hopped into our arms.  Being lil Ms. Dog whisperer, I knew instantly he wanted out of the pit of hell and quickly.   Against my better judgement I begged to use the restroom, we had been driving for almost 2 hrs and I just couldn't hold it anymore.  With must hesitance she let me into the house.  What I found was very sad, about 7 dogs, and 6 kids all of which were filthy.   The house was awful, smelled to high heaven of urine and the woman that had answered the door was screaming atrocities at everyone she passed as she lead me to the bathroom.   There was no conversation, she wanted us to take the dog and leave.   Everything I asked, she dismissed.  I noticed on my way to the bathroom that there was a large padlock on the fridge, which would explain why her kids were so thin.  It looked like a house you'd find in a sick horror film in the middle of the desert.  I was scared for these children and animals.   It was apparent she was not moving as there were no boxes, and she was twitching so badly asking for her 50 dollar dog adoption fee that I knew she must've wanted us there that night so she had money to get her fix.   There was no other reason to have someone come in such a mad rush and at such an hour.   We were idiots for putting ourselves at risk the way we did, but we were impulsive and something told me we had to go rescue this little pup.  I'm not usually one to jump to conclusions about a person without really knowing them but I knew in my gut that this situation was not an acceptable living environment for kids or animals for that matter.  I couldn't have lived with myself if I had done nothing.  These kids and pets didn't have a chance! 

We picked up Kirby and got him out of there.  I wish we could have taken the whole lot of them but we would've needed a large bus.  The next morning I took Kirby to the groomer and on my way there I made a phone call to CPS & the Humane Society.

To this day Kirby is the best dog we've ever had.   He's sweet, patient with Caleb & looks at all of us with such admiration and love.   On top of that he's the cutest dog that ever lived with a loveable palm tree tail that he wags constantly.   We call him Mr. Palm tree Arse! 

Some of the most loving creatures and people come out of desperate situations.  Life is messy, sometimes even for a dog but everyone deserves a chance.  Kirby got his and he's given us more than he knows in return.  

No comments:

Post a Comment