Thursday, August 25, 2011

Ooooh the agony of being cursed with the worst feet EVER!

A blog about feet you might ask?  If you had feet like mine, you'd write about them too.
As many of you may know I work at a busy restaurant & have been doing so for almost 11 years. 11 years of standing on my feet on tile for a living, of running around like a crazed maniac to deliver drinks, food and the occasional slip on the milk or blister on the toe!  Days when I come home almost sobbing at the throbbing of my feet, and begging my dear hubby to rub them. There are days when I'm surprised to wake up and find that I still have feet.  Being 4 months pregnant & being that I work on tile floors and sometimes stand for 7 plus hours makes finding a good pair of shoes really difficult.  Let me further explain.   This might be an easier feat if I had normal... FEET!  But in fact I have super wide feet, with a very high arch, and it doesn't help that it is August and today it was 105 degrees and that makes me swell up like a puffed pastry, which makes finding comfortable shoes nearly impossible. Now,  I don't mean slightly wide/puffed up, I mean the sort of wide that would give me the ability to climb very high trees, maybe even a palm tree to grab at a coconut or two without any gear, just with feet, like a monkey.

It's gotta be the most frustrating thing ever.  So when people ask me why I don't just buy better shoes while working, I look at them with disdain.   After all, I've tried every pair of shoe on the market, from 20 dollar shoes to 200 dollar shoes to find comfortable ones.  I will forever have a love/hate relationship with shoes.   I buy pretty shoes, hoping that I can squeeze my gorilla like feet into them & then they cause me such utter pain that they wind up sitting in my closet, never to see the light of day again.   But I don't return them, because they are pretty and every 28 year old woman should be able to wear pretty shoes. I sometimes limp along with blisters on my wide toes and heels, hobbling like I have a broken leg because I'm insistent upon wearing those damn pretty shoes.

It becomes a very sad day when you find yourself browsing the 90 year old womans orthopedic shoe areas. Did I mention that before I became pregnant with Caleb I was a size 9, after my pregnancy with Caleb I'm a 10-11 in shoes.  Now if my feet grow again, I'll for sure be shopping in the walmart womens dinosaur, ugly shoe section because I won't have a choice.  After about a size 10-11 it's slim pickens for shoes, in fact most of the 'pretty shoes' don't go past size 10!  What will I do at that point?  Resort to wearing orthopedic, dinosaur shoes at age 28???

  So for this pregnancy I have purchased a pair of crocs, and a pair of birkenstocks!   Excited about his purchase?  Not really, this purchase was out of utter necessity.   If you've ever seen these shoes, you know they are they type of shoe that makes you want to throw up a little bit in your mouth, but Ohhhh sweet Jesus are they ever comfy!   Because it's summer I can get away with wearing cute, fun sandals and flip flops when I'm not working, but I know the further along into my pregnancy I get the more swollen my feet may tend to get and that's when I will have to resort to wearing the birkis & the crocs all the time.

My rant is concluded with, why the HELL can't they make cute shoes in wider, larger sizes for women that have this exact issue?  I cannot be the only one!  Or maybe I am....  *curses and runs away!* 

No comments:

Post a Comment